House 76 at Bachelor was opened by the government in 1972. It provided long term accommodation for up to nine children in a family-style setting. Aboriginal and non Aboriginal children were admitted to the Home and were supervised by cottage parents. The exact closing date for House 76 is unknown.
House 76 at Batchelor was one of two Family Homes opened in Batchelor in 1972. The other was called House 67. Both were named for their street addresses. House 76 was located on Mandago Street.
The Welfare Division made initial plans for opening Family Homes in Batchelor during the early 1970s. When House 76 was opened, it was initially run by the Welfare Division of the Northern Territory Administration. From the end of 1972 until 1974 the Commonwealth Department of Aboriginal Affairs took over control of child welfare in the Northern Territory and was therefore responsible for all government Homes for children. From 1974 the House 76 came under the control of the Community Welfare Section of the Northern Territory Administration.
House 76 was purpose-built to provide mostly long term accommodation for up to nine children. The children were supervised by a Cottage Mother and her husband. Cottage parents received rent-free accommodation and were paid a subsidy for each child under their care as well as a supervisory allowance.
House 76 took in both Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal children from babies to teenagers for various periods of time, often long term. The Home had the capacity to take in a number of children from a single family.
The closing date for House 76 is yet to be determined.
Sources used to compile this entry: F1411 Correspondence files relating to social development with an 'SD' Prefix,: SD1705 & SD 1706, Foster Homes (Special) Proposed Establishment - Policy, NTAS.
Prepared by: Karen George and Gary George
Created: 31 January 2013, Last modified: 22 October 2013