Heytesbury Family Group Home was operated by the Peirson Memorial Trust. Located in Goodwood, Heytesbury provided residential care for approximately 22 young boys 12 to 17 years of age. It was situated on the same property as Redcliffe Home, also run by Peirson Memorial Trust. Heytesbury opened in 1968 and closed June 1977. It then reopened in March 1979 and finally closed in 2011.
The land on which Redcliffe and Heytesbury were situated was originally owned by Henry Edward Peirson, and functioned as a sugarcane plantation called Redcliff Plantation. Born at Heytesbury, Wiltshire, England, Peirson landed at Maryborough, Queensland, in 1851. He died July 1920 at his home 'Heytesbury House', Jane Street, West End.
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Personal', Brisbane Courier, 9 July 1920, p. 11, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article20405112; Department of Families, Missing pieces: information to assist former residents of children's institutions to access records, State of Queensland, 2001. pp.69-70..
Prepared by: Lee Butterworth
Created: 21 August 2012, Last modified: 18 June 2014