The Industrial School for Boys at Indooroopilly was opened in 1922. The facility was run by the Salvation Army and catered for State orphans, abandoned and neglected boys. It moved to Washpool and was renamed the Boys Home, Washpool in 1942.
The Industrial School for Boys, situated on Moggill Road, Indooroopilly (now called Chapel Hill), was run by the Salvation Army. Mr W R Black bought 22 acres of land for £2300 which he donated to Salvation Army. He also paid for the extension and renovation of the home, along with new furnishings. Black also provided £100 a year for maintenance of the facility.
The Industrial School for Boys could accommodate up to 50 boys and nine staff. Ensign Rogan was appointed Superintendent when the Home opened in 1922. The Home was officially opened on 20 November 1922 by the Governor, Sir Matthew Nathan. Shortly after the opening 35 boys took up residence.
The home was licensed under the State Children Act 1911 on 27 November 1922.
1922 - 1942 Industrial School for Boys
1942 - 1945 Boys Home, Washpool
1946 - 1968 Boys Home, Indooroopilly
1968 - 1969 Cooinda Salvation Army Home for Boys
1969 - 1983 Alkira, Salvation Army Home for Boys
Prepared by: Lee Butterworth
Created: 8 July 2013, Last modified: 28 September 2021