Some people may find content on this website distressing. Read more
Queensland - Organisation
Boys Home, Indooroopilly (1946 - 1968)
Display of callisthenics at Indooroopilly Home for Boy, Qld, 1946-47, 1946 - 1947, courtesy of Salvation Army.
Alkira Salvation Army Home for Boys at Indooroopilly, 1970?, courtesy of Supplied to ABC News.
- Children's Home, Home and Salvation Army
The Boys Home, Indooroopilly was run by the Salvation Army. Before 1946, it was known as the Boys Home, Washpool. Previously, the institution had been an Industrial School. In 1968, the name was changed to Cooinda Salvation Army Home for Boys.
- Palmer, Kevin, Boys' Home to Broadway, Magabala Books Aboriginal Corporation, Broome, 2010, 239 pp. Details
- Porter, Warren and Scott, Glyn (editor), A Tormented Life, Warren Porter, Strathalbyn, South Australia, 2010. Details
- Commission of Inquiry into Abuse of Children in Queensland Institutions, Report of the Commission of Inquiry into Abuse of Children in Queensland Institutions, Queensland. Department of Families, Youth and Community Care, Brisbane, 1999. Details
- Shew, Nigel, Personal Story by Nigel, Care Leavers Australia Network, 2013. Details
- 'Submissions received by the committee as at 17/3/05', in Inquiry into Children in Institutional Care, Commonwealth of Australia, 2005, http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate/Community_Affairs/Completed_inquiries/2004-07/inst_care/submissions/sublist. Submission no 90; Submission no 327; Submission no 338, Submission no 339. Details
- 'Case Study 5, January 2014, Sydney', in Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse, Australian Government, 2014, https://www.childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au/case-studies/case-study-05-salvation-army-boys-homes-australia-eastern-territory. Details
- Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse, Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse, 6 February 2014, http://www.childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au/. Details
- 'Opening Submissions of Counsel Assisting', in Case Study 5, January 2014, Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse, 28 January 2014, http://www.childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au/public-hearings/case-study-5-january-2014/. Details
- Biddy, Paul, 'Salvation Army abuse at 'severe end' of the scale', Sydney Morning Herald, 29 January 2014, http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/salvation-army-abuse-at-severe-end-of-scale-20140128-31kzk.html. Details
- Oriti, Thomas & Dingle, Sarah, 'Child sex abuse royal commission: Salvation Army abuse victim recalls rape and bashing', in ABC News, 27 March 2014, https://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-27/salvation-army-abuse-victim-recalls-rape-and-bashing/5349092. Details
- Porter, Warren, Living a Tormented Life, National Museum of Australia, 28 April 2010, http://nma.gov.au/blogs/inside/files/2011/03/Warren-Porter-A-Tormented-Life-3.pdf. Details
- Social Work Staff, Faculty of Education, University of Queensland, Directory of Social Services Queensland, University of Queensland Press, St Lucia, 1958, http://espace.library.uq.edu.au/eserv/UQ:241555/HV474_Q44D57_1958.pdf. Details
- Display of callisthenics at Indooroopilly Home for Boy, Qld, 1946-47
- 1946 - 1947
- Salvation Army
- Alkira Salvation Army Home for Boys at Indooroopilly
- Supplied to ABC News
Sources used to compile this entry: Palmer, Kevin, Boys' Home to Broadway, Magabala Books Aboriginal Corporation, Broome, 2010, 239 pp.
Prepared by: Lee Butterworth
Created: 8 July 2013, Last modified: 11 March 2015