The Preventative Home for Girls, in Riverview, was run by the Salvation Army. The home opened in 1897 and housed neglected girls 15 years and under. It operated as an industrial school, with the girls undertaking domestic and agricultural tasks. In October 1898 the facility changed to an Industrial School for Boys. The girls were moved to Rhyandarra Girls' Industrial Home at Yeronga.
The Salvation Army purchased the property known as "Ashdale" at auction in February 1897. "Ashdale" was previously the home of Mr John Ashburn. The fenced property of 210 acres, situated at the junction of the Brisbane and Bremmer Rivers, consisted of a large fifteen room house, stables and outbuildings. The Salvation Army planned to accommodate somewhere between 30 and 40 girls at the institution and train them as domestic servants.
1897 - 1898 Preventative Home for Girls, Riverview
1898 - 1942 Salvation Army Home for Girls, Yeronga
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Neglected Girls Home', Queensland Times, Ipswich Herald & General Advertiser, 6 April 1897, p. 4, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article125033538; Cleland, Sharon, Caring for the Children: A history of institutional care provided by The Salvation Army for Australian children and youth (1893-1995), Salvation Army, August 2012, https://www.childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au/sites/default/files/IND.R-001331.PS.0057_R.pdf.
Prepared by: Lee Butterworth
Created: 6 February 2014, Last modified: 22 April 2014