The Broadhurst Convalescent Home, at Sandgate, opened in December, 1901. It was a government-run convalescent home for patients from Brisbane Hospital. The Home closed in 1942.
The Brisbane Hospital Committee had maintained a convalescent home for patients in a rented home in Sandgate from 1885. It acquired its own property in late 1901 and the first transfer of patients to the Broadhurst Convalescent Home occurred in December of that year.
According to the entry in the Heritage Register for 138 Flinders Parade, Sandgate:
In the Annual Report of the Brisbane Hospital for 1910, the home was described as a valuable outwork of the Hospital...providing rest, nourishment and comfort during the days of convalescence of many of the patients.
After the convalescent home closed in 1942, the property was transferred in 1943 to the Crown for maternal and child welfare purposes. The Sandgate Maternal and Child Welfare Home was established on the site in March 1944.
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Broadhurst Convalescent Home', in The Home of the Friendly Ghost, 2004, http://www.casper.id.au/GrowingUp/broadhurst/index.htm; '138 Flinders Parade, Sandgate', in Queensland Heritage Register, Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP), 2013, https://environment.ehp.qld.gov.au/heritage-register/detail/?id=601515.
Prepared by: Lee Butterworth
Created: 28 November 2014