The Good Samaritan Sisters is a Catholic religious order founded by Archbishop John Bede Polding in Sydney in 1857. They were originally known as the Good Shepherd Sisters until in 1866, the name was changed to avoid confusion with an older order with the same name. The Good Samaritan Sisters ran the Sacred Heart Orphanage in Adelaide.
The focus of the early activities of the Good Samaritan Sisters was upon assisting women who were poor or in need, with some tasks carried out in conjunction with the Sisters of Charity. The Good Samaritan Sisters later undertook work in areas such as education, and working with people with disabilities, homeless young people and Aboriginal Australians.
Sources used to compile this entry: Downing, Melissa, 'Sisters of the Good Samaritan (1866 - )', in Find & Connect web resource, Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011, http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/ref/nsw/biogs/NE00148b.htm; George, Karen, Finding your own way, Nunkuwarrin Yunti of South Australia Inc., 2005, http://nunku.org.au/resources/.
Prepared by: Ann McCarthy
Created: 7 February 2011, Last modified: 5 February 2015