Klemzig Family Home was opened by the government at Klemzig in 1973. It provided emergency and short-term care for State children. From 1975 the Klemzig Family Home operated as a shelter for Aboriginal women and children from the Far North and West visiting Adelaide for medical treatment. Klemzig Family Home closed in 1980.
Klemzig Family Home at 29 Second Avenue, Klemzig, was purchased by the Department for Community Welfare during the 1971-1972 financial year and opened in 1973. The Department aimed to establish a number of Family Homes in the metropolitan area.
'Family homes' generally accommodated eight children or less in a family style setting. They provided emergency and short-term care for children while a family crisis was being assessed or while other placement options were being determined. The family home parents were not paid a salary by the Department but were provided with rent-free accommodation at the home and received a subsidy for each child in residence.
From 1975 Klemzig Family Home appears to have operated as a shelter for Aboriginal women and children from the Far North and West who visited the city for medical treatment. Klemzig Family Home closed in 1980.
1926 - c. 1975 Aboriginal Women's Home, North Adelaide
1973 - 1980 Klemzig Family Home
Sources used to compile this entry: George, Karen, Finding your own way, Nunkuwarrin Yunti of South Australia Inc., 2005, http://nunku.org.au/resources/; Mullighan, the Hon E.P., Children in State Care Commission of Inquiry: Allegations of sexual abuse and death from criminal conduct, presented to the South Australian Parliament by the Hon. E.P. Mullighan QC, Commisioner, Children in State Care Commission of Enquiry, Adelaide, South Australia, 2008, 564 pp, https://www.childprotection.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/107201/children-in-state-care-commission-of-inquiry-introducation.pdf.
Prepared by: Karen George and Gary George
Created: 14 February 2011, Last modified: 4 December 2015