Roberts Home was opened in 1921 as the second residence for children at the Methodist Children's Home site at Magill. It accommodated boys aged 9 to 13 and the first residence, Greenslade Home, was used for girls and boys from 2 to 8 years of age. In 1924, when Cann Home was built for older boys, Roberts Home was used for the younger boys. Roberts Home was badly damaged in an earthquake in 1954. It was replaced in 1964 with Roberts Cottage.
Roberts Home was opened in 1921 as the second residence for children at the Methodist Children's Home site at Penfold Road, Magill. The Mission purchased an existing six room building on land adjoining the Magill property some months earlier. The aim of the purchase was to open a Home for boys while retaining the original Home, Greenslade, for girls. A newspaper article at the time of the building's official opening ceremony, on Saturday 30 September 1921, stated that Roberts Home would accommodate 20 boys. The Home was named for Mr J. P. Roberts who donated the original Largs Bay cottage used as the Methodist Children's Home before its move to Magill.
During May 1921 Roberts Home was furnished and the first nine boys moved in. The verandah of the building was then enclosed to create another six-bed dormitory. The boys in the Home, aged between 9 and 14, were cared for by a Matron and Sister. Younger boys between the ages of 2 and 8 remained in Greenslade Home with the girls.
In 1924 when a new residence, Cann Home, was built for older boys, Roberts Home was renovated and repainted and used for the care of the younger boys.
In 1928 the matron of Roberts Home was Miss Maddeford, the matron of Cann Home was Miss Lang and the Matron of Greenslade Home was Miss Roper.
Roberts Home was badly damaged in the 1954 Adelaide earthquake. As a result it was closed and the building was later demolished. A new building, erected on the site in 1964, was called Roberts Cottage.
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Methodist Children's Home', The Advertiser (Adelaide, South Australia), 1 August 1921, p. 5, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article35251771; 'WOMEN'S UNIVERSE by "Felise." - Week by Week - For Needy Children', The Mail (Adelaide, South Australia), 28 October 1922, p. 18, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article63773245; 'Methodist Mission Children', The Advertiser (Adelaide, South Australia), 9 April 1928, p. 15, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article49369407; Bailey, Ivor, Mission story: the story of the Adelaide Central Mission, 1987; George, Karen, Finding your own way, Nunkuwarrin Yunti of South Australia Inc., 2005, http://nunku.org.au/resources/; Annual Reports of the Adelaide Central Methodist Mission (1910-1952).
Prepared by: Karen George and Gary George
Created: 18 February 2011, Last modified: 14 February 2014