Minda Home was the new name for the Minda Home for Weak-Minded Children from 1911 when the institution moved to new premises in Brighton. Run by a board of management Minda Home provided accommodation and special training for children and adults with intellectual disabilities. In the 1940s only children between 6 and 12 years were accepted at Minda. Children with profound intellectual disabilities were sent to the Parkside Mental Hospital. Minda Home was changed its name to Minda Incorporated in 1976.
In 1911 when the Minda Home for Weak-Minded Children moved from Fullarton to a new larger property on King George Avenue at Brighton, it was officially renamed Minda Home and became an incorporated organisation. The name change had become necessary because many of the Home's residents had grown to become adults. The residents at Fullarton were moved to the new building in November 1911.
Another building, the Verco Building, was added to the site in 1913 as demand for places exceeded capacity. Further cottage style buildings, named Lady Galway and Sir Charles Goode, were built in 1918. More additions were made in the 1920s and 1930s. By 1934 Minda Home was also operating a farm and dormitory at Craigburn Farm in Blackwood.
By 1940 Minda Home restricted its admission to children between the ages of 6 and 12. As the Home also no longer admitted children with profound disabilities, 26 Minda residents were transferred to the Parkside Mental Hospital.
In 1937 Minda was recognised as a part-time training school for mental health nurses. This training role continued until the 1970s. However, in the 1940s and 50s the Home experienced severe staff shortages. In the 1960s the staff shortages became chronic with a very high staff turnover adding to the difficulties. Lack of staff training and the absence of written procedures concerning residents' rights and staff conduct affected the operation of Minda Home in the 1950s. Some staff actively discouraged interaction between residents and family members.
Minda Home appointed its first social worker in 1966 and revisions to procedures followed. One result of these changes was that arrangements were made for residents to visit their families at Christmas. After an agreement was reached with the superintendent in 1970 the Department of Social Welfare provided Minda with full histories of each child on admission. The Department became more involved in both admissions and discharges from Minda, and required the Home to contact them with regards to outings and proposals of employment for children resident there. By 1975 half the funding of the Home was provided by the government.
Minda Home became Minda Incorporated in 1976.
Sources used to compile this entry: 'History of Minda Inc.', in Minda Inc, Minda Incorporated, 2014, https://www.mindainc.com.au/history; George, Karen, Finding your own way, Nunkuwarrin Yunti of South Australia Inc., 2005, http://nunku.org.au/resources/; Mullighan, the Hon E.P., Children in State Care Commission of Inquiry: Allegations of sexual abuse and death from criminal conduct, presented to the South Australian Parliament by the Hon. E.P. Mullighan QC, Commisioner, Children in State Care Commission of Enquiry, Adelaide, South Australia, 2008, 564 pp, https://www.childprotection.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/107201/children-in-state-care-commission-of-inquiry-introducation.pdf.
Prepared by: Gary George and Karen George
Created: 5 September 2013, Last modified: 12 June 2014