The Anglican Diocese of Adelaide dates back to 1847. Initially, the diocese included Western Australia and South Australia. Its first bishop was Augustus Short (1847 to 1882). In 1855, Short created a system of diocesan self-government through a synod. The Diocese of Adelaide, together with the Diocese of Willochra, to the north and west, and the Diocese of the Murray to the south and east forms the Province of South Australia, of which the Archbishop of Adelaide is the head. A number of children's Homes in South Australia were run by independent committees that reported annually to the Diocese of Adelaide. The Diocesan Archives Centre holds records relating to many of these Homes.
Sources used to compile this entry: Hilliard, David, 'Anglican Church', in SA History Hub, History Trust of South Australia, 2014, http://sahistoryhub.com.au/organisations/anglican-church.
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 31 October 2017, Last modified: 5 December 2017