Some people may find content on this website distressing. Read more
Victoria - Organisation

Alexandra Babies' Home (c. 1909 - 1974)

  • Former Female Refuge Complex [editor's note: former site of the Alexandra Babies' Home, Scott Parade, Ballarat East]

    Former Female Refuge Complex [editor's note: former site of the Alexandra Babies' Home, Scott Parade, Ballarat East]
    Details

From
c. 1909
To
1974
Categories
Babies' Home, Home and Non-denominational
Alternative Names
  • Alexandra Toddlers' Home (Also known as, 1964 - 1974)

The Alexandra Babies' Home was established in around 1909. It housed up to 36 children aged under five years of age. Most were state wards. Many children were transferred to the Ballarat Orphanage when they were four. In 1964, it was known as the Alexandra Toddlers' Home. It closed in 1974.

Details

The Alexandra Babies' Home in Ballarat East was on the same site as the Ballarat Town and City Mission Rescue and Children's Home.

The Babies' Home accommodated boys and girls under 5 years of age. The Home had a capacity of 36 children, and most of the children were state wards. The Home also acted as a 'feeder home' to the Ballarat Orphanage, with children being transferred there once they reached the age of four.

A new single storey building for the Babies' Home at 187 Scott Parade was completed in 1909. Originally, babies were accommodated at the Ballarat Female Refuge at 183 Scott Parade. There is some confusion about the date when the Babies' Home was established as a separate institution from the Refuge. It would seem that both buildings (still extant today) housed babies and toddlers at different times.

At first the Home was run by a committee of management. In 1921 the Ballarat Town and City Mission took over management of the Home.

In 1964, the name changed to Alexandra Toddlers' Home.

The institution closed in 1974.

In 2010, the building was being used as bed and breakfast accommodation known as 'Alexandra House'.

Location

c. 1909 - 1974
Address - The Alexandra Babies' Home was located at 187 Scott Parade, Ballarat. Location: Ballarat
1964 - 1974
Event - The Alexandra Babies' Home changed its name to the Alexandra Toddlers' Home

Run By

Related Glossary Terms

Related Organisations

Publications

Reports

  • Golding, Frank, Orphanages in Ballarat – brief historical notes (draft), 2009. Details

Online Resources

Photos

Former Female Refuge Complex [editor's note: former site of the Alexandra Babies' Home, Scott Parade, Ballarat East]
Title
Former Female Refuge Complex [editor's note: former site of the Alexandra Babies' Home, Scott Parade, Ballarat East]
Type
Image

Details

Sources used to compile this entry: 'Former Female Refuge Complex [Victorian Heritage Register (VHR) Number H1893]', in Victorian Heritage Database, Heritage Victoria, http://vhd.heritage.vic.gov.au/places/heritage/6065; Golding, Frank, Orphanages in Ballarat – brief historical notes (draft), 2009; James Jenkinson Consulting, Guide to out-of-home care services 1940-2000 - Volume One: Agency Descriptions, Department of Human Services, Unpublished, November 2001, https://www.childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au/sites/default/files/DHS.3004.011.0367.pdf; Wickham, Dorothy Glennys, Beyond the Wall: Ballarat Female Refuge, A Study in Moral Authority, A thesis submitted in total fulfillment of the requirements of the degree Masters of Philosophy, Australian Catholic University, 2003, http://researchbank.acu.edu.au/theses/69/.

Prepared by: Cate O'Neill