The Ashendene Boys' Home in Falls Road, Olinda, opened in December 1966. It was established to accommodate boys aged from 10 to 15 years, and from 1977 housed mostly older teenage boys requiring longer term accommodation. Ashendene was relocated to new premises in Croydon in 1988.
The Victorian Government purchased the large former private home to house boys aged from 10 to 15 years, and address overcrowding at Allambie and Turana Reception Centres.
It was proposed by the Department that Ashendene be used in conjunction with Hillside Boys' Home in Glen Waverley, with both institutions taking boys with a long history of institutional care and some offending behaviour. Unlike Hillside, boys at Ashendene were able to attend local schools.
By 1977, Ashendene's main intake was from Baltara Reception Centre, older teenage boys requiring longer term accommodation. In 1978 the capacity of the Home was reduced to 24 as the building was considered to be overcrowded.
In November 1988, Ashendene was relocated to a new facility in Croydon - a regional medium term residential unit for up to eight male and female adolescents.
Sources used to compile this entry: James Jenkinson Consulting, Guide to out-of-home care services 1940-2000 - Volume One: Agency Descriptions, Department of Human Services, Unpublished, November 2001, https://www.childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au/sites/default/files/DHS.3004.011.0367.pdf.
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 1 May 2009, Last modified: 25 October 2018