Holmbush was the first residential accommodation operated by Melbourne Legacy, and was established in 1942. It accommodated boys aged between 9 and 19, usually attending secondary school. In 1956, Holmbush became known as Blamey House.
Holmbush was for children aged 9 to 19. It was located not far from another Legacy home, Stanhope (1245 Burke Road).
Residents of Holmbush and other Legacy homes were the children of deceased ex-servicemen. Sometimes residents at Legacy homes were both children of ex-servicemen and wards of state.
In 1956, Blamey House, another Legacy children's home formerly in Beaumaris moved into the Holmbush property in Kew, and it was renamed Blamey House.
1942 - 1956 Holmbush
c. 1949 - c. 1977 Blamey House
Sources used to compile this entry: The story of Legacy is a story of human kindness … Where no trumpets flourish, The Argus, 16 May 1952, 4 pp, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article23181514; James Jenkinson Consulting, Guide to out-of-home care services 1940-2000 - Volume One: Agency Descriptions, Department of Human Services, Unpublished, November 2001, https://www.childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au/sites/default/files/DHS.3004.011.0367.pdf; Senate Community Affairs References Committee Secretariat, Parliament of Australia, Protecting Vulnerable Children: a national challenge: Second report on the inquiry into children in institutional or out-of-home care, Commonwealth of Australia, March 2005, http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate/Community_Affairs/Completed_inquiries/2004-07/inst_care/report2/index.
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 12 June 2009, Last modified: 27 June 2013