The Latrobe St Ragged School and Mission was a non-denominational organisation established by volunteers in 1865. The school and mission offered a range of classes and services to 'waifs and strays'. In 1895 the Latrobe St Ragged School and Mission became the Melbourne Boys' Ragged Home and Mission.
The Latrobe St Ragged School and Mission, a non-denominational organisation caring for 'waifs and strays' was established in 1865 in Melbourne. It started by providing free breakfasts to children and sewing classes for women.
The term 'ragged school' was adopted from Britain, where charity schools for underprivileged children were given this name from around 1840.
In 1891 William Brown resigned as Superintendent and Secretary of the School and Mission and William Minton succeeded him. Under his direction the Mission began to expand its services and collect donations to build a home to accommodate homeless children.
In 1895 the Latrobe St Ragged School and Mission became the Melbourne Ragged Boys' Home with the opening of the children's home.
1865 - 1895 Latrobe St Ragged School and Mission
1895 - 1924 Melbourne Ragged Boys' Home and Mission
1924 - 1943 Minton Boys Home
1943 - 1961 The Menzies Home for Boys
1961 - 2000 The Menzies Home for Children
2000 - Menzies Inc.
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Menzies History', in Menzies Inc. Website, Menzies Inc., 2009, http://web.archive.org/web/20150228110814/http://menzies.org.au/display.php?p=aboutus&s=menzieshistory; Davies, Shirley, 'One Thousand White Onions': a history of caring for children since 1865, Menzies Inc., Frankston, 2005.
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill and Nicola Laurent
Created: 20 August 2009, Last modified: 1 November 2017