The Gables was opened as a state-run children's Home in 1962. It accommodated 25 children who were wards of the state, consisting of boys from 4 to 10 years of age and girls from 4 to 14 years of age. Most of the children accommodated at The Gables had either physical, behavioural or learning difficulties. The Home was closed by the mid 1980s.
The Edwardian brick two-storey residence was initially built as a private home, and later used as nurses' quarters for the Kew Mental Hospital. In 1962, it became a state-run children's Home for 25 children, boys and girls who were wards of state.
The Gables first accommodated children in dormitories on the first floor, but in 1965 alterations were made so that the children were accommodated in three fairly self-contained units, upstairs and downstairs in the main building and in a cottage at the rear of the main building. At the same time the Home's rostered child care workers were replaced with cottage mothers.
The Home was closed by the mid 1980s as part of the Department's rationalisation of residential child care resources.
The Gables was mentioned in the Bringing Them Home Report (1997) as an institution that housed Indigenous children removed from their families.
Sources used to compile this entry: James Jenkinson Consulting, Guide to out-of-home care services 1940-2000 - Volume One: Agency Descriptions, Department of Human Services, Unpublished, November 2001, https://www.childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au/sites/default/files/DHS.3004.011.0367.pdf.
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 25 November 2009, Last modified: 2 March 2018