The Salvation Army Children's Creche, in North Carlton, was established in 1915. It offered care for pre-school children under the age of five. The Melbourne City Council bought the property and buildings in 1947.
The Salvation Army Children's Creche, in Canning Street, North Carlton, was established in 1915. The property at 481 Canning Street was a bequest to the Church from Mrs E. Wakely. She had requested the establishment of a creche on the site.
The establishment of creches was driven by concern about the children of working mothers, particularly those under the age of five, who could not attend school. The Salvation Army built a two-storey brick building on the land and the Children's Creche was officially opened in August 1916.
In 1945, the Argus reported on the Salvation Army's plans for 40 toddlers from the Creche to holiday at its summer seaside camp in Parkdale.
The Melbourne City Council bought the property and buildings in 1947.
Sources used to compile this entry: Gleeson, Catherine, Among the terraces: Carlton's parks and pastimes, Carlton Forest Project, North Carlton, Vic, 198?. Also available at http://web.archive.org/web/20150404001801/http://www.unimelb.edu.au/infoserv/lee/htm/family_support.htm.
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 17 March 2010, Last modified: 5 November 2018