The Talbot Colony for Epileptics was established in 1907. It was a non-denominational institution for boys and girls over the age of five.
The Talbot Colony for Epileptics was renamed to the 'Royal Talbot Colony for Epileptics' in 1958. In 1961, it relocated from Clayton to Kew (its former site was bought by Monash University). Around this time, the name changed again to the Royal Talbot Centre, reflecting that a 'colony' was not an appropriate way to treat people with epilepsy.
During the 1960s, the focus of the Centre changed to taking groups of orthopaedic, neurological and respiratory patients from public hospitals, although it also continued to treat people with epilepsy. It continued to develop as a therapy and rehabilitation centre and in 1988 became part of Austin Health, at which time it was again renamed to the Royal Talbot Rehabilitation Centre, which continues to operate in 2020.
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Royal Talbot Rehabilitation Centre - History', in Austin Health, https://web.archive.org/web/20200303215751/http://www.austin.org.au/royal-talbot-rehabilitation-centre.
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 17 March 2010, Last modified: 1 October 2020