The Presbyterian Girls' Home, Elsternwick, opened formally in 1909. In 1926, 40 girls lived at the Home, and were trained in domestic work, English, singing, elocution and needlewood. In around 1966, the Home became known as the Regent House Hostel for Girls.
The Presbyterian Girls' Home was located in Regent Street, Elsternwick. In 1909, the Home at Elsternwick was formally opened.
Previously, the Church's work with young women had been conducted at West Brunswick. According to the Argus in 1926, the Home was for 'young girls who have, through lack of parental control, or environment, got out of control'. The article stated that 40 girls lived at the Home, and were trained in domestic work, English, singing, elocution and needlewood, and that 95% of the Home's residents 'made good'.
In around 1966, the Home became known as the Regent House Hostel for Girls.
1906? - c. 1966 Presbyterian Girls' Home
1966? - 1977 Regent House Hostel for Girls
Sources used to compile this entry: Presbyterian Girls' Home, The Argus, 26 May 1909, 9 pp, http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/10695155; Presbyterian Assembly, The Argus, 6 May 1926, 14 pp, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article3780051; UnitingCare Victoria and Tasmania, 'Submission to the Australian Senate Community Affairs References Committee Inquiry into Children in Institutional Care 29 July 2003 (submission 52)', in Inquiry into Institutional Care: Submissions received as at 17/03/05, Commonwealth of Australia, 2003, http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate/Community_Affairs/Completed_inquiries/2004-07/inst_care/submissions/sublist.
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 13 July 2010, Last modified: 6 November 2018