The Salvation Army established the Fallen Sisters Home, in Carlton, in early 1884. It accommodated women recently released from prison. It closed in around 1886.
The Salvation Army Fallen Sisters Home was for women recently released from prison.
In 1885, the Salvation Army's 'Prison Gate Brigade' had started a home working with male ex-prisoners.
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Our History', in The Salvation Army - Australian Southern Territory Website, 2008, https://www.salvationarmy.org.au/about-us/our-story/our-history/. The section 'Foundation of Salvation Army Social Services' discusses the rescue homes established in the 1880s.; Gleeson, Catherine, Among the terraces: Carlton's parks and pastimes, Carlton Forest Project, North Carlton, Vic, 198?. Also available at http://web.archive.org/web/20150404001801/http://www.unimelb.edu.au/infoserv/lee/htm/family_support.htm.
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 14 July 2010, Last modified: 6 November 2018