The Tweddle Hospital for Babies and School of Mothercraft, in Footscray, opened in 1920. In the 1960s, Tweddle was classified as an approved children's home. Tweddle provided temporary care for babies and toddlers awaiting foster care or adoption, including some wards of state. It also provided short term care for babies whose mother was ill or otherwise incapacitated.
Sources used to compile this entry: James Jenkinson Consulting, Guide to out-of-home care services 1940-2000 - Volume One: Agency Descriptions, Department of Human Services, Unpublished, November 2001, https://www.childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au/sites/default/files/DHS.3004.011.0367.pdf.
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 5 November 2010, Last modified: 24 April 2013