The Burwood Children's Home was established in 1972. Previously known as the Burwood Boys' Home, it changed its name when it began to accept girls from the early 1970s. The last child left the Home in 1986. It was around this time that the Home became the Child and Family Care Network.
The Burwood Children's Home, situated in Warrigal Road, was previously known as the Burwood Boys' Home.
From the early 1970s, this institution began to accept girls, hence the name change. Children lived in 'cottage' accommodation. Older boys of working age lived on site in the purpose-built, Kemp Lodge.
The Home began to redirect its operations to the region around Shepparton in the late 1970s. It purchased houses in Shepparton in the early 1980s. Goulburn Valley Family Care was established in 1984. The last child left the Burwood Home in 1986. Around this time, its name changed again, to the Child and Family Care Network.
Sources used to compile this entry: Bestchance: our heritage, Child and Family Care Network Inc., 2007, http://www.bestchance.org.au/ourhistory/; James Jenkinson Consulting, Guide to out-of-home care services 1940-2000 - Volume One: Agency Descriptions, Department of Human Services, Unpublished, November 2001, https://www.childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au/sites/default/files/DHS.3004.011.0367.pdf.
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 16 June 2011, Last modified: 6 November 2018