St Paul's Discovery Centre was established in 1979 by the Reverend Ian Paxton of the Mission of St James and St John. It was located on the site of the former St Paul's Home for Boys at Newhaven, Phillip Island. St Paul's operated as holiday camp for 'disadvantaged' children.
St Paul's Discovery Centre opened in January 1979 as a holiday camp for children in 'need', 'troubled', or 'disadvantaged'.
The Discovery Centre was situated of the seafront at Newhaven, Phillip Island in the former buildings of the St Paul's Boys' Home which had closed in 1973.
After consultation with environmentalists, youth leaders, teachers and social workers the 'Discovery Centre' concept was developed by the Reverend Ian Paxton who was Social Welfare Administrator for the Mission of St James and St James.
The new Discovery centre aimed to "expand the child's approaches to discovery, so deriving alternate ways of seeing the environment." The program was supported by volunteers who helped to restore and maintain buildings and provide activities for the program.
Sources used to compile this entry: Monk, Joanne; O'Donoghue, Gina, Billylids and 'Home Kids': The Story of The Mission of St James and St John 1919-1994, The Mission of St. James and St. John, Surrey Hills, Victoria, 1994.
Prepared by: Leanne Howard
Created: 19 October 2011, Last modified: 26 April 2016