Olinda Farm Reformatory was established by Max and Louisa Brown in 1893. It was a training farm for up to six boys in South Wandin (now known as Silvan), near Lilydale. It was in operation for less than a decade and closed in around 1900.
Olinda Farm Reformatory was a training farm for up to six boys located in South Wandin (now known as Silvan), three miles from Lilydale.
Olinda was in operation for less than a decade, and throughout its entire existence was operated by Max and Louisa Brown.
It was run on a 'family-like' model where everyone, including the Browns, was required to contribute to the farm work.
Sources used to compile this entry: Two different worlds: cultural and political conflict in a 19th century boys reformatory [Document], Date: c. 1987.
Prepared by: Nell Musgrove
Created: 2 November 2011, Last modified: 6 November 2018