The Geelong Female Refuge was established in 1868 at Kildare, initially to house and reform 'fallen' women who had nowhere to live. By 1893 the Refuge accepted pregnant unmarried women who were prepared to have their babies at the refuge and remain for a further 12 months with their baby. By 1928 it had evolved into the Bethany Babies' Home.
1868 - 1928 Geelong Female Refuge
1928 - 1977 Bethany Babies' Home
1977 - Bethany Community Support
Sources used to compile this entry: Swain, Shurlee, A refuge at Kildare: the history of the Geelong Female Refuge and Bethany Babies' Home, Bethany Child and Family Support, North Geelong, 1985.
Prepared by: Rosemary Francis
Created: 22 May 2013, Last modified: 18 December 2018