The Clifden Farm and Try Boys Home was a farm training Home for boys at Wedderburn opened by The Try Society in 1923. It had previously been the privately run Clifden Children's Home. The home had capacity for approximately 25 boys. In 1929 the Clifden Home moved to St. Andrew's (also referred to as Diamond Creek), and the farm at Wedderburn was sold. In 1938 the Clifden Home at St Andrew's closed, and the remaining boys were transferred to the Melrose Training Farm for Boys at Melrose in the Berwick district.
1923 - ?: The Clifden Home was located near Wedderburn, Victoria.
1891 - 1923 Clifden Children's Home
1923 - 1938 Clifden Farm and Try Boys Home
1938 - 1957 Melrose Training Farm for Boys
Sources used to compile this entry: Farm for Boys, Victorian Venture: Society Wants Help, Northern Star, 22 August 1923, 7 pp, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article93613464; Try Boys' Society, The Argus, 29 November 1929, 10 pp, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article4053237; Try Boys' Home Moving, Advertiser (Hurstbridge, Vic.], 26 August 1938, 5 pp, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article56848054; 'Our History', in Sparkways Website, Sparkways, https://sparkways.org.au/about/our-history; Australia Army Survey Corps (1930). Victoria, Yan Yean [cartographic material] / prepared by Australian Section, Imperial General Staff. Melbourne: Govt. Printer. Retrieved from http://search.slv.vic.gov.au/permalink/f/1tla8hv/SLV_VOYAGER1895663.
Prepared by: Constance Thurley-Hart
Created: 14 July 2021, Last modified: 12 August 2021