Kewdale House was built in 1976 as a government-run hostel for Aboriginal teenagers aged over 15 years who came to Perth to continue their senior high school education. It is not known if Kewdale House was co-educational. It had closed by 2011.
Kewdale House was purpose-built by the Department for Community Welfare in 1976, on two blocks in Fulham Street in Kewdale. Its function was to provide supported accommodation for Aboriginal teenagers, aged over 15, who came to Perth to continue their education. In 1988, the authorities reported (Signposts 2004, p.271) that students in the hostel were 'helped to move on to tertiary courses and independent living situations'.
There are few published admission statistics, but in 1995 a survey (Signposts 2004, p.271) found that: 'there were 10 girls aged 15-18+ years resident at Kewdale House; total admissions during that year had numbered 13; and the length of stay ranged from 3 months to more than 6 months.
Kewdale House remained open in 2010 but had closed by 2011.
Sources used to compile this entry: Information Services, Department for Community Development, 'pp.270-272', Signposts: A Guide for Children and Young People in Care in WA from 1920, Government of Western Australia, 2004, https://signposts.communities.wa.gov.au//pdf/pdf.aspx; State Records Office of Western Australia, Wards - Director's Approval to Transfer from one Institution to Another and Amend Training, Reference Code AU WA S1099- cons2607 A0191 V4 (p.5) - page numbers refer to PDF page number in digital file held by the Department of Communities (Child Protection and Family Support) in 2017.
Prepared by: Debra Rosser
Created: 15 March 2011, Last modified: 27 September 2018