The Catholic Diocese of Broome is one of the key organisations of the Catholic Church in the Kimberley region of Western Australia. Missionary work began in 1884, the Parish of Broome was created in 1897 and became a Vicarate during World War One. In 1966, the Diocese of Broome was created. Throughout the years, the Diocese and its predecessors have had a relationship with Catholic Children's Homes, Missions, hostels and hospitals in the Kimberleys.
The Catholic Diocese of Broome has had a presence in the Kimberleys, Western Australia, since 1884. The Diocese covers more than 770,000 square kilometres. It began with missionary work by Father Nicholas Emo, a Trappist, in 1884 and became the Parish of Broome in 1897. During World War One, the parish became a Vicarate and in 1966 it became a Diocese. Throughout these years, the Catholic Diocese of Broome and its earlier parishes, have been involved in out of home care.
Generally, the role of the Diocese (parish or vicarate) has been as the administrator of a Mission or Home, with the day to day running being carried out by a Catholic Religious Order, such as the Trappists, Pallottines or the Sisters of St John of God. In this way, the Catholic Diocese of Broome has an historical relationship to Beagle Bay Mission, Kalumburu, Lombadina, Wirrumanu and the Maria Goretti Home.
Sources used to compile this entry: Catholic Diocese of Broome [website], http://www.broomediocese.org; Information Services, Department for Community Development, Signposts: A Guide for Children and Young People in Care in WA from 1920, Government of Western Australia, 2004, http://signposts.cpfs.wa.gov.au/pdf/pdf.aspx.
Prepared by: Leanne Howard and Debra Rosser
Created: 15 March 2011, Last modified: 11 April 2014