The Children's Cottage Home was established by Sister Kate Clutterbuck in 1933 in Buckland Hill. In that year it housed ten children from the Moore River Native Settlement (1918 - 1951). By August 1934, a new Children's Cottage Home was opened at Queen's Park and within a year the children and staff had moved there. Children's Cottage Home closed in July 1935.
The Children's Cottage Home was opened on 26 August 1933, at 6 Beach Street, Buckland Hill, sometimes referred to as Cottesloe. It began with eight children from the Moore River Native Settlement (1918 - 1951). They were joined by two more children from the Settlement in October of that year.
In August 1934 most school age children from the Children's Cottage Home at Buckland Hill relocated to Sister Kate's Children's Cottage Home. In July 1935 any children that had remained at Children's Cottage Home moved to Sister Kate's Children's Cottage Home.
By 1935 the Children's Cottage Home Incorporated was established to govern the operations of the Children's Cottage Homes at Queen's Park and Buckland Hill (Whittington, p.327). One of the Trustees was Mr H.E. Mofflin, whose family was also involved with the Methodist Homes for Children. (Whittington, p.433).
1933 - 1935 Children's Cottage Home
1934 - 1980 Sister Kate's Children's Cottage Home
1980 - 1988 Sister Kate's Child and Family Care Services
1988 - 2002 Manguri
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Women's Varied Interests', The Daily News, The Daily News, 7 December 1934, p. 11, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article86017405; 'Home for Quarter Caste Children', The West Australian, The West Australian, 2 August 1935, p. 9, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article32869673; Whittington, Vera, Sister Kate: a life dedicated to children in need of care, University of Western Australia Press, Nedlands, Western Australia, 1999.
Prepared by: Debra Rosser
Created: 9 July 2012, Last modified: 23 July 2015