The C.W.A. Girls' Hostel was established by the Country Women's Association in 1952 in Haig Crescent, Bunbury. It was also known as Heath House. It provided accommodation for girls attending Bunbury High School, replacing the Mary Clementina Hostel for Girls. Initially the hostel only had accommodation for 10 girls, however it was planned to increase this number following renovations to the house. It is possible that the girls hostel merged with Craig House, the C.W.A Boys Hostel in Bunbury, in 1965 when the boys hostel also began accepting girls, however this has not yet been confirmed.
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Girls Hostel Will Open on February 4 - Successful Efforts of C.W.A', South Western Times (Bunbury), 17 January 1952, p. 13, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article253255838; Heritage Council of Western Australia, 'Bunbury Senior High School', in inHerit, Western Australia State Heritage Office, Government of Western Australia, 8 February 2015, http://inherit.stateheritage.wa.gov.au/public/p/5613. p.9.; Bunbury High School, Girls Hostel, Conversion of Heath House, Haig Crescent in Plans - Architectural and Engineering (Series 399 Item 33311), State Records Office of WA.
Prepared by: Debra Rosser & Constance Thurley-Hart
Created: 12 March 2013, Last modified: 7 December 2021