The Protestant Children's Home was established in 1921 as a hostel for girls from regional areas who went to high school in Geraldton. It was administered and run by Geraldton Protestant Homes Inc., which was formed by Protestant churches in Geraldton. In 1964 it became Dellahale House.
Although the Protestant Children's Home was established for high-school aged girls, it did also accept younger girls and boys up to the age of 10. Children at the home ranged between 5 and 17 years in age. The home had capacity to accommodated up to thirty children. Parents were required to pay weekly boarding fees, with a slight discount provided for families with multiple children living in the Home.
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Hostel for Albany High School', Albany Advertiser, 8 February 1943, p. 5, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article70434697; Geraldton Residential College, Information and Code of Conduct Book 2013, Country High School Hostels Authority, 2012, http://web.archive.org/web/20140126231320/http://www.geraldtonresidential.com.au/wp-content/uploads/GeraldtonResidentialCollegeHandbook.pdf. p.4.; 'Institutions: 1) Protestant Girls Home, Geraldton. 2) Church of England Boys Home, Geraldton' (1940), State Records Office of Western Australia, AU WA S3172- cons1031 item 1940-0581.
Prepared by: Debra Rosser & Constance Thurley-Hart
Created: 12 March 2013, Last modified: 8 July 2022