Marribank Farm Training School was continued on the site of the Carrolup Native Settlement when the Settlement closed in June 1951. Some teenage Aboriginal boys from Carrolup were the first residents. In June 1952, the government closed the Marribank Farm Training School, which re-opened later in 1952 on the same site, as a Baptist Union facility also called Marribank.
Marribank Farm Training School was a government-run facility that was open for only one year. On 17 June 1951, Carrolup Native Settlement was closed and the Commissioner for Native Affairs reported that the adults were 'dispersed' but that teenage boys were kept there to establish Marribank Farm Training School. On 30 June 1952, the Marribank Farm Training School was closed. In his 1959 Annual Report (p.8), the Commissioner of Native Welfare explained that there had been a 'lack of interest in it by native parents and youths, no applications received for admission of native youths as trainees despite intensive canvassing efforts on the part of Departmental Field Officers'.
Young people at Marribank Farm Training School were under the guardianship of the Commissioner for Native Affairs.
1915 - 1922 Carrolup
1939 - 1951 Carrolup Native Settlement
1951 - 1952 Marribank Farm Training School
1952 - 1988 Marribank
Sources used to compile this entry: Longworth, Alison, Was it worthwhile?, An historical analysis of five women missionaries and their encounters with the Nyungar people of south-west Australia, Murdoch University, Murdoch, Western Australia, 2005, http://researchrepository.murdoch.edu.au/163/2/02Whole.pdf. pp.298-299.; 'Western Australia Protectors Reports 1899-1959', in To Remove and Protect: Aboriginal Lives Under Control [website], Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies, National Library of Australia, http://aiatsis.gov.au/collections/collections-online/digitised-collections/remove-and-protect/western-australia. Annual Report of the Commissioner of Native Welfare 1959 p.8..
Prepared by: Debra Rosser
Created: 15 December 2013, Last modified: 27 August 2018