• Organisation

Home for Boys, Riverview


The Home for Boys, Riverview, situated at 29 Riverview Road, was operated by the Salvation Army. In the 1950s it received young migrants from Britain to train in farm practices. The name changed to the Training Farm for Boys in 1966.

In the 1950s the Salvation Army Training Home for Boys at Riverview admitted 77 boys under the child migrant scheme. Only “child migrants” over 14 years of age were accepted,on account of the type of work involved at the training farm.

In 1998, former residents of Riverview Training Farm made submissions to the Commission of Inquiry into Abuse of Children in Queensland Institutions (widely known as the Forde Inquiry). The Committee reported on incidents of unsafe, improper and illegal treatment of children in Queensland institutions, including cases of sexual, physical, emotional and systems abuse. Its findings were detailed and explicit.

In January 2014, the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse commenced a public hearing into response of the Salvation Army (Eastern Territory) to child sexual abuse in children’s Homes in Queensland and New South Wales, including the Riverview Training Farm. The evidence to be heard was to have a particular focus to the years 1966-1977, although the Royal Commission stated it expected to hear allegations dating back to as early as 1936.

  • From


  • To


  • Alternative Names



  • 1956 - 1966

    Home for Boys, Riverview was situated at 29 Riverview Road, Riverview, Queensland (Building Still standing)



Contact Find & Connect

Save page