St. Elizabeth's Mayfield was located in a property owned by the Church of England Diocese of Newcastle. The house was built in 1886 and was once the residence of William Arnott, who named it Arnott Holme. In 1898 it was sold to Isaac Winn, who named it Winn Court. In 1921 it was sold to the Newcastle Diocese.
The house was first opened as a hostel in 1923 but the Diocese of Newcastle converted it to a girls' home in 1926. The day to day management of the Home, including the care and supervision of children, was done by the Sisters of the Community of the Holy Name until 1937. The Church Army, a new organisation supported by the Diocese of Newcastle, was invited to take over the day to day management of St. Elizabeth's in 1937, and oversaw day to day operations until 1961. From 1961 until its closure, staffing of the Home was provided directly by the Diocese.
In 1942, due to the threat of invasion from World War II, the Diocese decided to move the children who were in its care out of an area considered of possible threat. St Elizabeth's Home for Girls was moved to Singleton, where it remained until its closure in 1977.
19 December 2022
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/nsw/NE00080
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License