According to the Singleton Argus, boys were resident at St George's Training Farm in May 1927;
'The seven boys now in residence are a fine type of youth, and are adapting themselves splendidly to their new life.'
The training farm was officially opened on 1 June 1927 by Mr Bill Capper of West Maitland. The purpose of the farm was to continue the 'training' of boys at St Albans Home, Morpeth. St George's was for boys aged 13 and over.
The farm was a 22 acre site, purchased by the Church of England for £4800, of which Arthur Yates of Sydney had donated £500. It was superintended by Rev BD Simpson who had, prior to entering the ministry, been a farmer.
In 1927 the farm grew sorghum and lucerne and had a poultry farm and dairy.
According to Connecting Kin, the Home experienced financial difficulties from its inception, and was closed in 1930. The boys were relocated, and the farm rented out before being sold in 1939.
We do not currently have any photographs linked to this entry. If you know of any additional photographs, please contact us.
The Find & Connect Support Service can help people who lived in orphanages and children's institutions look for their records.
03 January 2019
Cite this: https://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/nsw/NE00082
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License