St Joseph's Orphanage, Cowper, housed 2125 children from 1914 until 1972. The service was financed by a dairy farm on farmland purchased by the Sisters of Mercy and later by the building of an egg production plant. Orchards were also planted for fruit.
From 1930 the Sisters received child endowment payments, representing the first public money supporting the service. Mr Pollock, a Grafton solicitor, applied for the endowment and encouraged the Church and civil community to help St Joseph's with its running expenses.
04 June 2020
Cite this: https://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/nsw/NE00172
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License