The Asylum was located on the corner of Pitt and Devonshire Streets, Sydney on a site now occupied by Central Railway Station.
In 1881 the State Children's Relief Act created the State Children's Relief Board and gave it the power to remove children who were in the care of the Benevolent Asylum and board them out (place them into foster homes). From this point, the Benevolent Asylum became less a children's home and more a depot for children who were moving into state care. The Benevolent Asylum continued to support pregnant women and their infants.
When the New South Wales Government began constructing Central Station it resumed the Devonshire Street site, where the Benevolent Asylum stood. The Government paid compensation to the Benevolent Society, and with this money the Society purchased several properties. It built the Royal Hospital for Women in Paddington in 1901. In 1904 it erected a new asylum on the corner of Thomas Street and Quay Street, Sydney, known as Thomas Street Asylum.
The Benevolent Asylum records from 1857-1900 have been indexed and the index is available online. Please see the list of published resources to access this website.
13 June 2018
Cite this: https://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/nsw/NE00314
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License