Bethesda Home for Waiting Mothers was in Stanley Street in Newtown but the street was renamed and from the 1980s has been known as Gilpin Street, Camperdown.
In 1950 the Sydney Rescue Work Society reported that 57 pregnant women had stayed at the home that year. At that time the Matron was Olive Smith, a former Deaconess, and her assistant was Miss Jean Brown. The Christian mission of the home was clear - Miss A Simmonds attended weekly to play the organ at services and the Rescue Work Society reported on the success of ensuring one mother was married to the father of her child, and another intended to become a missionary. The Society remained silent about the futures of the other 55 women, or their babies.
09 January 2019
Cite this: https://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/nsw/NE00369
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License