The Queen Victoria Hospital for Women and Babies was located at 61 Albion Street Annandale, in Sydney's inner west. The building dates from 1845 but the hospital was founded by George Lewis in 1895. It catered to both married and unmarried mothers. Unmarried mothers were not charged for their stay in the home but attended to other patients.
Matron Attenborough was in charge of the home from 1896 until 1924. On Lewis' death in 1926 the building was left to the Presbyterian Church. In 1952 a Ladies Auxiliary, led by Mrs Hope Figtree, was formed. The hospital was later transferred to the Hospital Commission and was closed in 1976.
Medical records are held by Prince of Wales Hospital (1953 to 1978). Social work records are held by Community Services' Adoption Information Unit.
06 November 2015
Cite this: https://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/nsw/NE00450
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License