Brush Farm House dates back to 1820 in Eastwood. It was leased then purchased by the New South Wales Government and had been used as a children's institution since 1894, housing the Carpentarian Reformatory for Boys, Brush Farm and Eastwood Home for Mothers and Babies prior to its conversion to Brush Farm Home.
Brush Farm Home used Montessori and Kindergarten principles to provide some degree of schooling and vocational training. Housed up to 60 girls. In the 1960s cottages were added but the older dormitory-style accommodation was retained, despite its age and unsuitability, due to the increasing rate of intellectually handicapped girls in care. In this period it appears to have included a facility called Brush Farm Reform School for Girls, or Thorbery Lodge. From 1968 Brush Farm Infants' Home was located on the site, in a separate building. Boys were admitted to Brush Farm Home in 1978.
From August 1980 Brush Farm provided temporary residential care of disabled children, mainly for respite care when parents or foster parents needed a break or a holiday, as a temporary placement centre pending long term care or during family crises, and also for behaviour training.
Brush Farm Home closed in 1988. The estate was purchased by the Department of Corrective Services, who re-opened it as the Brush Farm Corrective Services Academy on 1 May 1989. The property was been sold to Ryde Council, but in 2012 Corrective Services retained use.
09 January 2019
Cite this: https://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/nsw/NE01115
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License