St Joseph's Orphanage, Bucasia was established in 1874 by Father Pierre Bucas. The Sisters of St Joseph ran the orphanage from 1876 to 1879 and they were replaced by the Sisters of Mercy who took care of the children from 1880 to 1885. St. Joseph's Orphanage, Bucasia was licensed on 14 April 1880 under the Orphanages Act of 1879. Due to health problems, the Queensland Government closed the orphanage and the children were relocated to a new site. This site, known as Meteor Park Orphanage was built in 1885 at Neerkol, some 22 kilometres west of Rockhampton. Meteor Park was the name of the station property which Dr John Cani, the first Bishop of the Rockhampton Diocese, purchased in 1882, soon after he became Bishop. Neerkol is the name of the railway siding closest to the property.
We do not currently have any photographs linked to this entry. If you know of any additional photographs, please contact us.
The Find & Connect Support Service can help people who lived in orphanages and children's institutions look for their records.
13 May 2021
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/qld/QE00659
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License