The Salvation Army Girls' Home at 39 Florence Street, Fullarton, was previously known as the Girls' Probationary School. Its name was changed by the Salvation Army in 1945 when the Children's Welfare and Public Relief Board ceased control of the School and removed it from the gazetted list of government approved private institutions. It continued to also be known as The Haven.
For a number of years the Salvation Army Girls' Home only accommodated girls placed privately. Aboriginal girls were also accommodated at the Home at different times throughout its existence.
In 1950 the Home once again came under government supervision when amendments were made to the Maintenance Act 1926-37 requiring all institutions that accommodated children under the age of seven to be regularly inspected. In 1965, the new Social Welfare Act came into effect which required the matron of the Home to apply to the government for a licence to run a children's home.
In 1969 the Salvation Army Girls' Home began to admit younger boys and was renamed the Fullarton Children's Home.
The Children in State Care Commission of Inquiry heard allegations of sexual abuse against children living at the Salvation Army Girls' Home, Fullarton.
06 May 2022
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/sa/SE00136
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License