The Church of England Boys' Home at Walkerville was the new name given to the Children's Home at Walkerville in 1904 after the Home took in boys only. During its existence the number of boys in the Home ranged from 14 up to 30.
While living in the Home the boys attended St Andrew's Day School and services in St Andrew's church. Most boys remained until the age of 14 when they left to take up employment. The boys initially lived in crowded conditions in what was described as a dark, depressing and run down building.
The poor conditions led to the Home moving to a new building next to the St Andrews church in 1926. This new one storey building had two dormitories, each with 12 beds. Plans were also made to enclose one verandah to provide further sleeping accommodation when required. More renovations were completed after the Second World War.
In 1955 the Church of England Boys' Home was informally renamed Kennion House, after Bishop GW Kennion who had been Bishop of Adelaide at the time the home opened.
06 May 2022
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/sa/SE00346
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License