The Salesians of Don Bosco took over the running of St John's Boys Town in 1942 and were granted permission by the Archbishop in 1954 to discard the name 'Boys Town' and to accept day-pupils for both technical and secondary studies. The home became known as 'the boarding section of Salesian School' although it was still often referred to as St John's Boys Home. A new building was erected in 1954-55 so that the number of residents could be increased to 160.
The Salesians were particular about the boys they would accommodate, preferring to take boys over the age of ten with at least grade five standard education.
In the mid 1960s the school became known as the 'Salesian College'. The St Johns Boys Home section of the College closed at the end of 1984. Salesian College finished as a co-educational secondary school at the end of 1996.
15 May 2018
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/sa/SE00349
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License