In 1860 a small group of members of the Church of England who were disturbed by poor conditions in the Destitute Asylum in Adelaide planned the establishment of a small institution to house neglected children in a more home-like environment. That same year six girls were brought together at the Stepney home of an infant teacher and church member, Mrs Gamble.
Shortly afterwards, the committee took over the run-down former British and German Hospital in Carrington Street which they refurbished and opened in 1861 with a sign above the gate, Orphan Home. Seven girls, most of primary school age, were placed in the Home. They attended daily and weekly worship and were trained in the domestic arts as they were expected to leave the home at sixteen and enter service.
The Orphan Home remained in Carrington Street until 1908 when the deterioration of the building forced the management committee to seek an alternative premises. In 1908 it purchased the former home of Mr O'Halloran Giles on Fullarton Road at Upper Mitcham and seventeen girls were moved there.
The Mitcham building had 16 rooms, a laundry and 'excellent lavatories'. With more extensive grounds, there was room to develop a playground and plant a vegetable garden. Space was also available for keeping a cow and hens.
A newspaper report on the official opening in August 1909, concluded that:
'Altogether the lot of the poor orphans ought to be made an exceedingly happy one in the beautiful home nestling at the foot of the hills and overlooking the beautiful scenery of the plains and gulf, for which Mitcham is renowned.'
The management committee decided to advertise the Home so that clergymen in country areas would become aware of its existence. As a result of this, during its later years of operation the number of girls in the Home rose to an average of thirty.
In 1935, when the Orphan Home was incorporated, it was renamed Farr House after Mrs Julia Farr whose hard work had been integral to the establishment and continued operation of the home.
06 May 2022
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/sa/SE01214
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License