St Martin's Home for Boys was first located is situated at 791 Burwood Road, Auburn. It was established largely due to the efforts of the Rev. Eric Thornton. It was opened formally by the Governor in June 1921, two years after Thornton established the committee to raise funds for a boys' home.
Thornton was the first superintendent of St Martin's Boys' Home.
Thornton presented the annual report of the 'Church of England Homes for Boys' in 1926, and reported that a decision had been made to sell the Auburn site and move St Martin's to the site of St John's Home for Boys in Canterbury.
The new St Martin's Home at Canterbury was opened by the Governor, Lord Somers, on 11 December 1926.
We do not currently have any photographs linked to this entry. If you know of any additional photographs, please contact us.
The Find & Connect Support Service can help people who lived in orphanages and children's institutions look for their records.
10 August 2021
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/vic/E000113
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License