The Convent of the Good Shepherd was established in 1892 by the Sisters of the Good Shepherd. The Albert Park Convent came into being as a result of overcrowding at the Sisters' Abbotsford Convent.
The 1890s was a period when heavy demand was placed upon the Good Shepherd Sisters due to the economic depression in Australia. The Albert Park Convent, at 142-150 Beaconsfield Parade, initially accommodated children from 15 years upwards. At a later stage, residential care was provided for younger girls.
Some of the young women at the Albert Park Convent worked in the industrial laundry. The Convent was a complex of buildings that spread out over the site on Beaconsfield Parade. A school was built in 1905. In the mid twentieth century, the Sisters also established a hostel for young women, called Marian Hall, situated at 224 Danks Street, Albert Park. The institution was closed by 1973 in line with the Sisters' policy of deinstitutionalisation.
26 April 2016
Cite this: https://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/vic/E000186
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License