The Presbyterian Sisterhood established a maternity home in 1909, situated at 223 McKean Street, North Fitzroy. The home, for unmarried mothers and their babies, operated until the late 1970s.
In 1926, the Sisterhood reported that more than 1,000 mothers and babies had passed through the Home at North Fitzroy.
In 1927, Miss KL Foster was the deaconess in charge of the Sisterhood Home.
In 1952, the Sisterhood announced its plans to build a small maternity hospital at the Home. The Mary Dickens Hospital Wing was opened in May 1953.
Connections UnitngCare holds the records for admissions into the home and children born to women residing in the home.
05 November 2018
Cite this: https://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/vic/E000569
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License