The Church of England Mission to the Aborigines of Victoria operated Framlingham for a short period and handed it back to the Central Board for the Protection of Aborigines. Shortage of funds and a disagreement with the manager, Daniel Clarke, were reasons advanced for the decision. By 1867 the Board decided to move the Aborigines living on Framlingham to Lake Condah where a new Aboriginal station would be opened.
The move was resisted and the Station was operating again by 1870. There was considerable movement of Aboriginal people between Framlingham and Lake Condah. Living conditions were basic and it was the last of the Aboriginal stations to gain a teacher for the school in 1878.
Housing had to be provided for up to 90 residents. They were issued with basic rations of flour, sugar, tea and tobacco, but were expected to supplement these basic rations by their own efforts. For example they were expected to hunt and supply their own meat.
The Board provided essential clothing, but not boots. The Aborigines were expected to earn money to help provide for themselves.
As Framlingham was a station managed by a lay person, religious services were less regular than at Lake Condah. Although the Station closed in 1890, Aborigines continued to live on Framlingham and in 1970, under the Aboriginal Lands Act, Framlingham was handed to the Framlingham Trust and resumed its operation under Aboriginal ownership.
We do not currently have any records linked to this entry. If you know of any additional records, please contact us.
The Find & Connect Support Service can help people who lived in orphanages and children's institutions look for their records.
18 January 2019
Cite this: https://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/vic/E000929
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License