On 17 January 1958, the Pallottines were granted 25 acres of land at Lot No. 529, Derby for a hostel and by 1959 they had opened St Joseph's Hostel there. Admissions included children who were sent by the child and 'native' welfare authorities, and children who were placed by family. The hostel was run by the Pallottines with the assistance of lay missionaries.
It seems that St Joseph's Hostel was one of the 'Aboriginal education and employment' hostels subsidised by the Native Welfare Department In 1972, responsibility for St Joseph's Hostel was transferred to the Department for Community Welfare (DCW) in accordance with government policy at that time.
St Joseph's Hostel, Derby, closed in 1986.
We do not currently have any photographs linked to this entry. If you know of any additional photographs, please contact us.
The Find & Connect Support Service can help people who lived in orphanages and children's institutions look for their records.
02 May 2022
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/wa/WE00192
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License